Get Info

Our Writing Emphasis: Frequently Asked Questions From Students Like You

Written By CCH Staff on August 14, 2017

brad-neathery-258926.jpg

When you’re trying to find the perfect college screenwriting emphasis, a few questions are bound to pop up. Take a look at this list of the most frequently asked questions we receive from our incoming students to find out if Columbia College Hollywood is right for you.

1. Can I choose more than one Emphasis for my BFA program?

No, you can only choose one Emphasis, but you’re free to choose from a wide variety of elective courses in other areas.

2. Can I apply for internships with entertainment industry companies while I’m a student?     

Yes! Internships are one of the best ways to build industry relationships and gain practical experience that you’ll be able to include on your resume. Most students can begin applying for Internships that earn college credit in their junior year.

3. How will a liberal arts degree help me in a creative career?

A liberal arts degree program provides a foundation of critical thinking, creative problem-solving, and effective communication skills that best prepare you to be a resilient, agile, lifelong storyteller, ready to build your own future career doing what you love.  

4. Do I have to audition or submit a portfolio or sample reel with my application?

No, we don’t require auditions, portfolios, or reels to apply to our BFA programs. We believe college is the place to discover your passion, try new things, hone your skills, and develop a body of work to take into the real world after graduation. If you want to submit a web link to a sample of your work with your application, it’s completely optional. 

5. What is the Admissions Review Committee looking for in my application? 

The Committee is looking for a complete application, including your official high school transcripts and all other required documents, submitted on time. When you write your personal essay, express yourself, describe your creative and academic goals, then proofread carefully for grammar and punctuation errors. Ask teachers, counselors, or employers who really know you to write letters of recommendation. Finally, during your admissions interview, let your individuality shine so your Admissions Counselor can see how you’ll contribute something unique to the Columbia College Hollywood community.

6. Can I sit in on a class?

Yes! Contact your Admissions Counselor directly to coordinate a campus visit.

7. Can I visit the campus before applying?

Yes, you can sign up to attend one of our Saturday Open House events or you can arrange for a private tour.

8. How is studying Writing at Columbia College Hollywood unique?

Our BFA program is for writers who aspire to be creative media makers. You’ll study all aspects of the filmmaking process while you specialize in the art and craft of professional screenwriting for film, television, and new media. In project-based courses, you’ll also learn the ins and outs of the entertainment business, from idea to development to production, editing, distribution.

9. Is this program just for screenwriters or will I be prepared for other writing careers, like fiction writing, blogging, or journalism?

Your focus will be on becoming a complete storyteller, learning to craft stories for any medium or format. The tools you acquire as a screenwriter can be used to write fiction, non-fiction, documentary, video games, advertising copy, and a wide variety of web-based content, in addition to scripts for feature film and television.

10. Do I need to purchase my own laptop?

It’s best if you own a laptop to work on your screenplays and script projects off campus. While you’re on campus and in class, you’ll have access to college-owned computers, including the Apple Mac Pro and Macbook Air, pre-loaded with all the software you’ll need to complete class projects.

11. Will I get to direct and shoot my own scripts?

Yes! Our multidisciplinary approach provides hands-on experience with the equipment, technology, business processes, and collaborative workflow used in development, production, and post production so you have opportunities to produce what you write.

12. What are my career possibilities after I graduate with a Writing Emphasis?

In the entertainment industry, writers work in studio development, story editing, and criticism. In the television industry, writers are also creative producers. Fiction writers and playwrights who learn screenwriting can adapt their own work for multiple audiences. Writers also make non-fiction narratives come to life on the screen and on the page.

Is our BFA program right for you?

If you think Columbia College Hollywood is the perfect fit for you, download our Application Checklist.  It will walk you through our application process, making the beginning of your journey that much easier. 

New Call-to-action

Topics: Insider, Admissions

CCH Staff

Written by CCH Staff

This blog is a collaborative effort by CCH staff and administration who want to share their knowledge with the film school community and prospective students.

Join the conversation